meta data for this page
Wiki page of Carlos Martinez
(5) Sources relevant to the course
(Reflections already included within paragraphs)
Before getting involved with the concepts that will be discussed through this course, it is important to understand were did they come from. Personally, the following sources helped me to better understood and broaden my view about the topic.
At first, it is important to understand the magnitud of the problem and that should be done by understanding what are the current concerns about climate change. (1) The Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report (IPCC, 2007) provides important data about concerns regarding climate change and its effects. In my opinion it is a good first step to begin to comprehend the magnitud of the problem, since it puts numbers to climate change effects in a way that anyone can understand. In the same way, (2) Planetary Boundaries: Exploring the Safe Operating Space for Humanity (Rockström, 2009) proposes an interesting approach about how humans activities are exceeding the environmental limits of the planet. For me this view was specially shocking as it shows in a graphical way how humanity is exceeding some planet environmental limits and how has already exceed some of them, it makes me wonder if we are going to be able to turn back the tide.
Then, some basic concepts related to sustainability should be understood. (3) Our Common Future (WCED, 1987) provides the very first and official concept of sustainable development. Although nowadays there are many ways to define sustainable development, the concept given by this paper provides a very clear concept, both for those who already have some background about the matter and those who are just beginning.
At last, it should be understood how information and communication technology may help fight against climate change. (4) Smart 2020: Enabling the Low carbon economy in the information age (GeSI, 2008) presents the influence of information and communication technology in the fight against climate change, not only in the sector itself but in the applications in other more problematic sectors. Some months ago it was really hard for me to understand how information technology can actually help environment, but after going through this report I gained a clearer view about it. (5) Green IT: The New Industry Shock Wave (Gartner, 2007) addresses the role of information technology industries within the green sector. Finally, this paper gives a good view about how companies can really get involved in this green perspective, it also helps to understand a bit sustainability from the business point of view.
By reading this proposed sources, I think, it could be gained a comprehensive introduction to the topics addressed in the course, just as it happened with me.
Reporting of carbon footprint
The document below contains my personal carbon footprint results (brief reflection included).
Attendance proof of online course
The image below shows my personal evaluation of edX course (replacement of Coursera course) META 101x: Philosophy and Critical Thinking as proof of attendance of online course.
(4) Questions for exam
- Define and discuss the following concepts shortly: green IT, and greening through IT. Provide examples of each of them. Similarly to what it was done in the first seminar of the course when the concepts were new for must of students, through this questions it would be expected that the student reflects how much their concepts have changed compared to what they knew at the beginning of the course.
- Explain the concept of sustainable development. How can IT advance the goals of sustainable development? Sustainable development has a wide variety of concepts, but there is a common model adopted worldwide, in this question the students should represent, written, drawn or both, the three pillars of the sustainability model and how the concept has evolved through the years, and elaborate about their personal understanding of it. In the second part of the question, the student would have the opportunity to make a relation between the concept recently learned and its personal experience with IT.
- Analyze the different environmental concerns in which IT could have a positive impact. In this question, the students would be challenged to probe how well they understand the environmental problems of the planet, in other words, how aware are they about it. If they do understand the critical problems, then they would have the opportunity to analyze how IT can help to addressed those problems.
- If you would have to choose a single solution to climate change driven by IT, what would it be? Justify your answer. In this final question, the students would have to decide among all the possible ways in which IT could help, learned through all the course and seminars, and to provide strong arguments explaining the reasons why they have chosen that particularly solution.