meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
I choose the recommended course named “Philosophy and Critical Thinking”: https://www.edx.org/course/philosophy-critical-thinking-uqx-meta101x-0
Personal Task 1
1. Lorenz M. Hilty and Magda David Hercheui “ICT and Sustainable Development”, IFIP 2010 http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-15479-9_22#page-1
This paper discusses two (optimistic and pessimistic) views on the role of ICT in sustainability, provides framework describing a three-dimensional approach to sustainable development, analyses three levels of ICT impacts and proposes possible challenges in ICT and sustainable development. In my opinion, it gives a comprehensive picture of the role played by ICT in making the world environmental friendly.
2. Supaporn Chai-Arayalert, Keiichi Nakata “The Evolution of Green ICT Practice: UK Higher Education Institutions Case Study”, IEEE 2011 http://ieeexplore.ieee.org.bases-doc.univ-lorraine.fr/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6061299
This paper provides reviews of the Green ICT concepts and a framework of UK Higher Education Institutions where it analyses Green ICT strategy, practice, and measurement. In my view, it is a well-done survey which shows the importance and need in using of ICT in higher education system.
3. M. Tahir Riaz, José M. Gutiérrez, Jens, M. Pedersen “Strategies for the next generation green ICT infrastructure”, IEEE 2009 http://ieeexplore.ieee.org.bases-doc.univ-lorraine.fr/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5373604
The paper shortly describes the challenges of carbon dioxide emissions by ICTs faced last years, provides some strategies to decrease them, thereby to make ICTs greener. It is quite old paper, however, it allows to understand how nowadays ICTs are useful in reducing environmental impact.
Personal task 2: Carbon Footprint Reporting
There are my results and reflection. In addition, I did some comparisons because I used to calculate my carbon footprint with two applications WWF and Ilmastodieetti.fi. aigerimzhalgasbekova_carbonfootprintreflectivereport.pdf
4 Exam Questions
1. List two trends facilitated to start of using the term “Green IT”. How did they influence on the formation (emergence) of this term? This question is designed according to the content of the first chapter of “Greening through IT” book which reflects the way “Green IT” formulated. Perhaps, it may seem that it is easy question, however, it is really important to understand why this term has arised, as it gives a notion of its purpose. After that, the reader would know the basic concept and the book would be more comprehensive.
2. (List key factors in humans’ perspective on environmental themes.) Why does human need to broaden his horizons and think in term of different scales? This question is based on the third chapter of “Greening through IT” book. The knowledge of answer on it provides a comprehension of the cause leaded the human civilization to overuse of the planet's resources. In my opinion, the question require students to provide their reflection on the whole chapter that means it is not enough just skim it to answer on this question.
3. Describe the main two ways Green IT reaches people in the nonindustrialized world and give several examples. This question is based on the eighth chapter of “Greening through IT” book. It involves the knowledge of the ways Green IT can assist to collective actions for sustainability. Also, providing examples requires students to be creative, despite, there are some examples given in the chapter.
4. Describe bottom-up approach. Why it is important to follow it? This question is designed according to the content of the third chapter of “Computing research for sustainability”. It involves the knowledge how Computer Science has to be developed in order to support sustainable development. The second part of the question requires students to give their reflection on this approach that shows student's involvement while reading this chapter.