meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Application independency: Application by development is not depended from the system, or as less dependant as possible. Programming language independency.
Controlling the system: System configuration, connections, environment have to be controlled and controlling code have to be able to reactive for environment changes. Application management. Device resource state management; battery etc.
Events from the environment (via system): The system and the environement have to be able to monitor by events.
Stream connection possible: The system should be able to establish and provide stream (byte sequence) based connections.
Message connection possible: The system should be able to establish and provide .. by message boundaries.
Message bus support: Derives from message connection goal. 1) Messages abailable. 2) Messages routed in nodes in device between application level messaging between devices.
Provide seamless functionality: The connections should be able to be network technology independent and should be resilent for physical connection break up's.
Application/service code hosting: There should be defined place where the application or service code is run. The code should be able to be activated and shutdown. Ability for the user to control running applications / services. Directly or indirectly. application derived services.
General (and unclassified) pyph goals
Applications messaging: Application layer messaging. Definition of the content of the messages. Application object addressing.
Support dynamic resource consumption: (on mobile device) Resource management. Resource conservation.
Service / application discovery: Applications and services should be able to address and discover from dynamic network.
Easy to make application implementations: Unknown at the moment.
Easy to use: Unknown at the moment.
Performance: Unknown at the moment.
Timing limits: Unknown at the moment.
Performance limits: Unknown at the moment.
From conclusions of ela02:
- Avoid erroneously triggering congestion control mechanisms on the fixed host.
- Avoid the serial timeout problem on the fixed host.
- Be reliable, by solving the problems arising from the lossy wireless links and their bursty high BER.
- Can efficiently deal with handoff.
- Can handle frequent and long disconnections of the mobile host.
- Take into consideration the limited bandwidth and power scarcity of mobile hosts.
- Use a dynamic packet size depending on the dynamic bandwidth available for mobile hosts.
- Provide end-to-end semantics of TCP.
- Preferably provide compatibility; that is, do not require any change in software on the fixed hosts.
And: Link layer should be used to establish acceptable error performance on communication and transport should handle handoff and disconnections.