meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Department have two new virtual servers, goal for these are to provide easy way to make special servers to support research and teaching. Most of these special servers are needed for limited time with limited resources. Ex. programming environment for one teaching period or project server for 1 year. Using virtual servers we can decrease amount of hardware dedicated for servers, this means less electricity used for servers and for keeping servers cool.
Some basic information for our virtual servers:
- host os: centos
- virtualmachine: VMware server 2
- guest os: can be almost any windows, linux, bsd or solaris variant
- we have 2 servers, one inside university network firewall and one outside
How to start using virtual server
Client has to:
- Specify what kind of server is needed?
- CPU, RAM and storade capacity needed
- OS running at server
- other applications needed for server ex. programming tools, databases, web server
- specify visibility to internet? (it's possible to move your virtual os between our servers)
- specify how you are going to control your virtual server
- contact Ilmari Laakkonen for creating virtual server.
Ilmari has to:
- create virtual machine to right server
- install ordered server os for it
- order needed dns and dhcp information for your server (ip-address and server network name)
- configure access for client to his server
After these phases server is running and client can control remotely his server to do his work with it.
How much this will cost for client
Department has already paid basic hardware, creating small servers cost nothing. If your server need more CPU, RAM or fast storage than we can can provide from our servers then client need to buy upgrades to our server. We can upgrade amount of CPU cores, RAM and local hard disks if needed.
These virtual machines looks like real computers to network, they need to have normal ip-addresses from computer center. Increased amount of network devices add some costs for department and virtual servers are calculated as separate network devices because of their own ip-addresses. But it's same cost with separate server anyway. Only way to decrease these costs is that you combine services to lesser amount of servers. (physical or virtual)
This server is located inside university network firewall, we use this for local servers/services only.
- wolf.it.lut.fi, it's copy of our new www server, meant for developing and testing our own web applications before running those on real environment at www2.it.lut.fi.