meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Department have two new virtual servers, goal for these are to provide easy way to make special servers to support research and teaching. Most of these special servers are needed for limited time with limited resources.Ex. programming environment for one teaching period or project server for 1 year. Using virtual servers we can decrease amount of hardware dedicated for servers, this means less electricity used for servers and for keeping servers cool.
Some basic information for our virtual servers:
- host os: centos
- virtualmachine: VMware server 2
- guest os: can be almost any windows, linux or bsd variant
- we have 2 servers, one inside university network firewall and one outside
How to start using virtual server
- Specify what kind of server you need?
- CPU, RAM and storade capacity needed
- OS running at server
- other applications needed for server ex. prgramming tools, databases, web server
- Do you need visibility to internet? (it's possible to move your virtula os between our servers)
- Contact Ilmari Laakkonen
What Ilmari has to do
- Create virtual machine to right server
- Install ordered server os for it
- Order needed dns and dhcp information for your server (ip-address and server network name)
- Configure access for client to his server
- Then client continues himself with his server
This server is located inside university network firewall, we use this for local servers only.
- wolf.it.lut.fi, it's copy of our new www server, meant for developing and testing our own web applications before running those on real environment.
This server is located outside university network firewall, we use this for servers which need visibility to internet. Speacial care is needed for security settings for this computer.
- No servers running at moment.