meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
How to get help for computer related problems
Remember that sometimes you get help faster from your co-workers and supervisor than departmental admin or university helpdesk. Specially if problem is related to specific software combination used only in your project.
University helpdesk is open at 8.00-15.45 from mondays to thursday and 8.00-15 at friday. You can contact them with many ways:
- Using email: email@example.com
- By Phone: 2580
- Through web form at address: https://intra.lut.fi/C6/Helpdesk/default.aspx
- Room: Visiting Origo helpdesk service point at university library
When to use university helpdesk?
- All problems related to windows based computer classes
- All os and general office software problems related to windows based workstations
- All printing problems except things related to linux printing (even users of personal printers can make printing cartridge orders from helpdesk)
- All problems related to university it services ex. email, university home directories and so on
- All problems related to university provided web applications ex. rondo, large list of university web services is located here https://intra.lut.fi/C19/Tyovalineet/default.aspx
Ilmari Laakkonen is departmental admin at moment, Jarmo Ilonen is looking after departmental core services during Ilmari's holidays and sick leaves.
When to contact departmental admin?
- All problems related linux class, pentinkulma, room 6325
- All special software installation problems with windows workstations
- Printing problems and configuration for linux workstations
- All problems related to departmental servers
- All problems related to department provided web applications ex. own web, fileshare, subversion, wiki services
- Department, laboratory or project purchases
- Sorting out other department level problems somehow related to computer systems, purchases, workplaces or work environment risk analysis.
How to contact Ilmari Laakkonen
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org address is default way to contact ilmari, all emails sended here are going directly to university helpdesk support system. Best method if you want to make sure that ilmari won't forget your problem or miss it other way.
- email: email@example.com, checked more often than university helpdesk support system, but there is always risk that your email is classified as spam or otherwise get lost or forgotten.
- mobile phone: +358 40 822 4562 , if you need help fast, use phone. If you are not in hurry, use email. If Ilmari is taking your call when not at his workplace, risk to forgot your problem is moderate.
- room: Ilmari's room is 6507, most of my time ilmari is sitting there. Visit there if you need something physical ex. cables, video projector, digital camera.
- irc: i usually have irc open, but it's mostly for personal use. Please use other methods to contact ilmari.
- discussions at coffee table, lunch break or when ilmari is walking around doing other work: Good way to sort out things when you are not sure by who or what should be done. Risk for ilmari to forget your problem is very high. Please send reminder email to firstname.lastname@example.org after this kind of discussion.
How to contact Jarmo Ilonen
Contact Jarmo Ilonen only when Ilmari Laakkonen is at holiday or sick leave.
- email: email@example.com
- phone: +358 5 6212890
- room: 6714