meta data for this page
This is an old revision of the document!
Fileshares and backup areas
University provided network shares
These are regularly backupped network disk systems and provides best security for your files.
- University home directories, 5Gb limit for personnels, visible through many server names ex. maaX and files-tite
- University provided department storage, 200Gb for whole department
Department level network shares
- tutkimus.it.lut.fi (regulus) provides fileshare for all laboratories. These shares are used only for project files.
New file server - www2.it.lut.fi
Department is concentrating all information distribution services to new www server (www2.it.lut.fi), that includes file services too.
- all file shares located at www2.it.lut.fi (diso, schedir, regulus and so on)
- main protocol used is samba for workstations and nfs for servers
- nfs access is provide with cursa.pc.lut.fi virtual machine
Fileshares already ready for use:
|Share description||Samba/windows url||NFS directory if mounted common linux system|
|Apllication, utilities and other5 software for department personnels||\\www2.it.lut.fi\software||/net/www2/software|
|File share for temporary files, no backup, no quota limits||\\www2.it.lut.fi\temp||/net/www2/software|
some guidelines for choosing your storage
It's fact that all storage systems might break anytime without warning. Departmental personnels have few options to choose when you think how and where you store your digital data.
Separate personal and work data
All computer resources at university are provided for work or study purposes, keep your personal data at home, at least do not store it using university resources. Examples of data which doesn't belong to university computer systems.
- Music files
- holiday photos and videos
- Internet loadable media files
Identify type of work related data
Choosing right place for your data is easier if you can identify type of your data ja sort it little bit.
- Only meant for my eyes and nobody else is interested for them.
- Project data which is available only for specified persons
- Project data which is available to anyone in our department
Choices for data storage
|location||Amount||Access control||backup level||Location|
|workstation hard disk||based on local hard disk capacity||propably only you||at your own responsibility||NA|
|external hard disk||based on ext hard disk capacity||anyone who have access to ext hard disk||at your own responsibility||NA|
|university home directory||5GByte for personnels||only you||best1)||\\files-tite.cc.lut.fi\home2)|
|university provided dep. level fileshare||200GByte for whole department||access control with university users and groups3)||best4)||\\files-tite.cc.lut.fi\tite|
|departmental fileshares||limited by server hard disk capacity||access control with university users and groups5)||moderate6)||\\tutkimus.it.lut.fi\xxxx|