Real-time mosaicing and 3-D reconstruction
The aim of the project is to develop real-time or near real-time methods for mosaicking and later for three-dimensional reconstruction or structure-from-motion. These methods should work on commodity computer hardware.
The basis for real-time mosaicing is the Master's thesis work by Pekka Paalanen. This work produced a system that is capable of tracking restricted camera motion from 0.8 megapixel video imagery at 30 frames per second. Much of the real-time performance is due to taking advantage of graphics acceleration hardware.
The core of the doctoral thesis work is an online 3D-reconstruction pipeline, fed from a single hand-held camera. Camera ego-motion is tracked using an extended Kalman filter visual simultaneous localization and mapping (EKF-VSLAM). Selected frames from the video are processed by multiview stereo (MVS) to produce point clouds with color and normals.
- Slamrecon code and Legos data set released.
- 19.5.2010 3DPVT
- Poster (PDF, 2.1 MB) presentation on Narrow baseline GLSL multiview stereo in 3DPVT'10, Paris, France.
- Updated project introduction.
- 12.5.2010 GPUStereo code
- Multiview stereo implementation for GPUs released.
- 18.10.2008 ECCV workshop
- Presentation of the paper Towards Monocular On-Line 3D Reconstruction.
- 26.9.2008 Researchers' Night
- A truly on-line working application is shown to visitors live.
- Some videos added.
- First rough working version of 3D reconstruction.
- Work for real-time 3D reconstruction application begins.
- Research report "Image Based Quantitative Mosaic Evaluation with Artificial Video". Research focus moves on to 3D reconstruction.
- EPSRC Summer School: Vision, Video and Graphics in Bath, UK.
- Presentation and paper in Finsig'07.
- The project is starting based on the Master's thesis by Pekka Paalanen.
|Lappeenranta University of Technology|
|Pekka Paalanen||WWW||Graduate school researcher|
|Joni Kämäräinen||WWW||Post-doc researcher|
This project is part of the research in the Machine Vision and Pattern Recognition Research Group, MVPR.
- Monocular on-line 3D reconstruction (Paalanen's doctoral thesis), a.k.a slamrecon or recon, source code package: slamrecon-20110630-configured.tar.gz, 1.2 MB. Please, refer to the thesis before trying to use this. Note, that it contains a copy of Itlabcpp, and its dependencies apply.
- GPU multiview stereo in Itlabcpp, module GLAlgorithms. Released in package 2010-05-12. See also the 3DPVT poster (PDF, 2.1 MB).
- Legos video sequence from Paalanen's doctoral thesis: legos-20110630.tar.gz, 50 MB.
- Image sets from the SCIA2009 paper "Image Based Quantitative Mosaic Evaluation with Artificial Video":
- Please, see the videos page.
See Links page.
Do not hesitate to contact authors (e-mail, etc.) in order to retrieve copies or reprints of the following publications.