Finding the Right Context in Globalizing Software Development
Several industry trends, e.g. industry globalization, outsourcing of software development work and mergers and consolidation of businesses have altered the business environment of software organizations. In addition, new ways of developing software have evolved. For example, many organizations use open source software, which have changed the economics of software business. Another example is that large software organizations tend to grow even larger and distribute and offshore their development and therefore they have to turn into more plan-driven methods and processes. On the other hand agility in development processes and methods have been emphasized by many researchers and practitioners. It is our opinion that these trends have profound effects on software organizations.
RIGHT (Finding the Right Context in Globalizing Software Development) research project examines this mixture of processes and methods in a real business environment. Lappeenranta University of Technology (LUT) acts in this research project as a partner together with South Carelia Polytechnic (SCP).RIGHT Objectives
The objectives of the research project can be summarized as follows:
- To provide more understanding of how development processes and methods are dependent on the business context and its changes.
- Development of a theoretical model or a framework of contexts, which will characterize different situations and contingencies the software development organizations face in their daily work.
- To help and support software organizations in developing or selecting right SD methods and processes according to the changing business environment
|Kari Smolander||Project leader at LUT||+358 40 5463 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Alexandre Bern||Project manager at LUT||+358 44 5233 email@example.com|
|Uolevi Nikula||Senior researcher at LUT||+358 40 5591 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Aparna Pasi||Researcher at LUT||+358 50 9286 email@example.com|
|Antti Lehmusvaara||Project leader at SCPfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pasi Juvonen||Project manager at SCP||+358 40 5857 email@example.com|
|Päivi Ovaska||Researcher at SCP||+358 40 5842 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Links & Events
- Minna Perttula's Master's Thesis: Observations on Software Project Deviations.
- First Right Seminar (Open), Friday April 20th, 2007. Invitation & Agenda
==> Seminar outcomes (presentations & photos)
- Seppo Iivonen's Master's Thesis: Redocumentative Methods in a Software Product Development Organization (In Finnish)
- RIGHT presentation held in Technopolis, Otaniemi. Helsinki ICT week 2006.
- Pasi Juvonen, 2007: Evaluating the Driving Factors and the Suppressing Factors related to IS Outsourcing in four Finnish ISD Organization
- Päivi Ovaska, 2007: A Case study of Systems Development in Custom IS Organizational Culture.
- Alexandre Bern, et.al., 2007: Contextual Factors Affecting the Software Development Process – An Initial View